Page 1 of 1
Strength Before Fancy Moves
Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2026 5:04 pm
by WScott06
I keep wanting to try flashy stuff I see on Instagram, but I’m thinking I should nail the basics first. Thoughts?
Re: Strength Before Fancy Moves
Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2026 5:45 pm
by Diesel$59
100% bro. Nobody got big off circus lifts. Get stupid strong on the basics squat, bench, rows, OHP and then sprinkle in the flashy stuff later if you even still care.
Re: Strength Before Fancy Moves
Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2026 6:26 pm
by John Martinez
Instagram got dudes thinking you need to balance on a BOSU ball while curling

Meanwhile the biggest guy in my gym just doing heavy presses and clean form raises.
Re: Strength Before Fancy Moves
Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2026 6:40 pm
by MarkB%223
Basics aren’t basic when you actually push them hard. Controlled reps, progressive overload, good form that’s the real advanced stuff most people skip.
Re: Strength Before Fancy Moves
Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2026 7:06 pm
by GeorgePRY
I fell into that trap ngl. Was doing all kinds of wild cable angles and bands… made zero gains. Went back to simple push/pull/legs and started growing again.
Re: Strength Before Fancy Moves
Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2026 9:04 pm
by NickLDX4
You can still have some fun with it tho. I keep like 80–90% of my workout straight up fundamentals, then maybe one fun movement at the end so I don’t get bored.
Re: Strength Before Fancy Moves
Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2026 9:42 pm
by David Thompson
Real talk flashy lifts are usually just basics in disguise with worse loading potential. Hard to progressive overload when you’re busy trying not to fall over
