Carb Timing - Fuel the Workout or Save It for Recovery?
Carb Timing - Fuel the Workout or Save It for Recovery?
I keep seeing mixed takes on when carbs matter most. Some people swear by pre-workout carbs for better performance, others load them post-lift for recovery and growth. Curious what’s actually worked for you in terms of strength, pumps and how you feel the next day.
-
David Thompson
- Posts: 27
- Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2025 7:05 pm
- Been thanked: 1 time
Re: Carb Timing - Fuel the Workout or Save It for Recovery?
Pre-workout carbs all day for me. Training fasted feels flat and weak no matter what.
Re: Carb Timing - Fuel the Workout or Save It for Recovery?
I split them. Small carb hit before training for energy, bigger portion after. Best of both worlds without overthinking it.
-
James Johnson
- Posts: 19
- Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2025 7:00 pm
- Been thanked: 1 time
Re: Carb Timing - Fuel the Workout or Save It for Recovery?
When I moved most of my carbs pre-workout, my performance jumped immediately. More reps, better pumps. Recovery still felt fine as long as total daily carbs were high enough.
Re: Carb Timing - Fuel the Workout or Save It for Recovery?
Post-workout carbs matter more when volume is high. Heavy low-volume days don’t seem to need much.
Re: Carb Timing - Fuel the Workout or Save It for Recovery?
I think people obsess over timing way too much. Total calories and carbs for the day matter more than whether they’re before or after.
Re: Carb Timing - Fuel the Workout or Save It for Recovery?
I train after work, so carbs earlier in the day make a bigger difference than post-workout. If I under-eat during the day, no amount of post-lift carbs saves the session.
Re: Carb Timing - Fuel the Workout or Save It for Recovery?
Intra-workout carbs changed the game for me. Especially on leg days.
Re: Carb Timing - Fuel the Workout or Save It for Recovery?
Depends on the goal. Cutting? I push carbs around training. Bulking? I just eat them whenever and focus on performance.
Re: Carb Timing - Fuel the Workout or Save It for Recovery?
I tried the “all carbs post-workout” thing and felt sluggish during training. Once I added pre-workout carbs back in, strength and consistency improved fast.
