Strength Before Fancy Moves

Share and explore beginner-friendly routines, diet tips, and healthy habits to build a strong foundation.
Confused about how to begin working out or eating right?

Image
Post Reply
WScott06
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2025 5:39 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Strength Before Fancy Moves

Post by WScott06 »

I keep wanting to try flashy stuff I see on Instagram, but I’m thinking I should nail the basics first. Thoughts?
Diesel$59
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2025 6:49 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Strength Before Fancy Moves

Post by Diesel$59 »

100% bro. Nobody got big off circus lifts. Get stupid strong on the basics squat, bench, rows, OHP and then sprinkle in the flashy stuff later if you even still care.
John Martinez
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2025 7:12 pm

Re: Strength Before Fancy Moves

Post by John Martinez »

Instagram got dudes thinking you need to balance on a BOSU ball while curling 💀
Meanwhile the biggest guy in my gym just doing heavy presses and clean form raises.
MarkB%223
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2025 6:59 pm

Re: Strength Before Fancy Moves

Post by MarkB%223 »

Basics aren’t basic when you actually push them hard. Controlled reps, progressive overload, good form that’s the real advanced stuff most people skip.
GeorgePRY
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2025 5:50 pm

Re: Strength Before Fancy Moves

Post by GeorgePRY »

I fell into that trap ngl. Was doing all kinds of wild cable angles and bands… made zero gains. Went back to simple push/pull/legs and started growing again.
NickLDX4
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2025 5:43 pm

Re: Strength Before Fancy Moves

Post by NickLDX4 »

You can still have some fun with it tho. I keep like 80–90% of my workout straight up fundamentals, then maybe one fun movement at the end so I don’t get bored.
David Thompson
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2025 7:05 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Strength Before Fancy Moves

Post by David Thompson »

Real talk flashy lifts are usually just basics in disguise with worse loading potential. Hard to progressive overload when you’re busy trying not to fall over 😂
Post Reply