How Do You Guys Warm Up Before Hitting Heavy Sets?

Share and learn effective workout techniques and tips.
Train smarter, not harder! 🏋️‍♂️
Image
NickLDX4
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2025 5:43 pm

How Do You Guys Warm Up Before Hitting Heavy Sets?

Post by NickLDX4 »

I always struggle to find a sweet spot with warm-ups. Some days I feel gassed before my work sets, other days I feel stiff and not ready. What’s your go-to warm-up routine before squats, bench or deadlifts? Do you stick to mobility drills, ramp-up sets or just jump straight in?
PRVictor8
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2025 5:51 pm
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: How Do You Guys Warm Up Before Hitting Heavy Sets?

Post by PRVictor8 »

I do a few minutes on the bike to get the blood flowing, then go straight into ramp-up sets. Nothing fancy. If I stretch too much, my strength drops.
MarkB%223
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2025 6:59 pm

Re: How Do You Guys Warm Up Before Hitting Heavy Sets?

Post by MarkB%223 »

For me, it’s all about movement-specific warm-ups. If I’m squatting heavy, I start with the empty bar and build up in small jumps until I hit my working weight. It keeps me loose but not tired.
NickLDX4
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2025 5:43 pm

Re: How Do You Guys Warm Up Before Hitting Heavy Sets?

Post by NickLDX4 »

Yeah, I think I overdo the warm-ups sometimes. I’ll do 4–5 sets before even touching my top weight and end up gassed. I might try fewer ramp sets next time.
CoreyGm0
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2025 6:58 pm
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: How Do You Guys Warm Up Before Hitting Heavy Sets?

Post by CoreyGm0 »

You’re probably doing too many reps on the warm-ups. Keep them low like 5 reps at 50%, 3 at 70%, 1-2 at 80%. That’s plenty to prime your nervous system.
Brody778
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2025 6:51 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: How Do You Guys Warm Up Before Hitting Heavy Sets?

Post by Brody778 »

Dynamic stretching >>> static stretching before heavy lifts. I’ll hit some hip openers, and shoulder dislocates before squats or bench. It feels way better than sitting there stretching cold.
Diesel$59
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2025 6:49 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: How Do You Guys Warm Up Before Hitting Heavy Sets?

Post by Diesel$59 »

Same here. I used to spend 20 minutes stretching like I was about to run a marathon. Now it’s just 5–10 mins of band work and a couple ramp sets. PRs started going up too.
NickLDX4
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2025 5:43 pm

Re: How Do You Guys Warm Up Before Hitting Heavy Sets?

Post by NickLDX4 »

I never tried band work before lifts might give that a shot. My shoulders always feel tight on bench days. Any specific band exercises you recommend?
KeelllyP85
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2025 5:38 pm

Re: How Do You Guys Warm Up Before Hitting Heavy Sets?

Post by KeelllyP85 »

Face pulls, band pull-apart, and internal/external rotations. 2 sets each before bench = game changer for shoulder health.
BoltXc4
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2025 6:41 pm

Re: How Do You Guys Warm Up Before Hitting Heavy Sets?

Post by BoltXc4 »

Honestly, if you’re feeling good that day, sometimes you don’t need much. I’ve hit PRs after a couple warm-up sets and just going by feel. Don’t overthink it.
Post Reply