New to the Iron Game – What Dumb Stuff Should I Avoid Early On?
New to the Iron Game – What Dumb Stuff Should I Avoid Early On?
First week back hitting’ the gym heavy and I’m already smoked. Feel like I’m tryna PR every session like an idiot
. For the vets in here what rookie moves should I chill on before I gas myself out or get hurt? Trying to play the long game, not burn out in a month.
-
John Martinez
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2025 7:12 pm
Re: New to the Iron Game – What Dumb Stuff Should I Avoid Early On?
Biggest rookie mistake? No rest days. Everyone wants to go 7/7 the first month. You grow when you recover, not when you lift. Take 1–2 days off, eat, sleep and let your body catch up.
Re: New to the Iron Game – What Dumb Stuff Should I Avoid Early On?
Stop maxing out every workout, bro. Nobody cares what you bench on week two
. Learn the form, then stack plates later.
Re: New to the Iron Game – What Dumb Stuff Should I Avoid Early On?
Facts. I burned out fast my first year tryna “go beast mode” daily. Now I hit 4 days hard, 3 days chill (stretch, walk, mobility). Progress came way faster once I stopped overdoing it.
Re: New to the Iron Game – What Dumb Stuff Should I Avoid Early On?
Yeah, I’m def feeling that. DOMS every damn day and I can barely move
. I might dial it back a bit and just focus on learning form for now.
Re: New to the Iron Game – What Dumb Stuff Should I Avoid Early On?
Good move, bro. Also stop program-hopping. Every beginner switches workouts every week thinking they’re “not doing enough.” Stick to one solid plan for a few months and actually build some baseline strength.
Re: New to the Iron Game – What Dumb Stuff Should I Avoid Early On?
And don’t skip legs. Everybody says it but it’s real. You’ll regret it when you look like a Dorito.
Re: New to the Iron Game – What Dumb Stuff Should I Avoid Early On?
Re: New to the Iron Game – What Dumb Stuff Should I Avoid Early On?
Another underrated rookie L not eating enough. You can’t grow on vibes and pre-workout. Track your food, get enough protein, and chill on the energy drinks. Your body’s trying to adapt; give it fuel.
Also don’t compare yourself to dudes who’ve been lifting 10 years. Everyone starts small.
Also don’t compare yourself to dudes who’ve been lifting 10 years. Everyone starts small.
Re: New to the Iron Game – What Dumb Stuff Should I Avoid Early On?
Solid advice all around. Gonna slow it down, focus on form, sleep, and food. I appreciate the real talk bros I’d rather build slow than flame out quickly.
