Page 1 of 2
Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2025 5:52 pm
by Dannyll0
I love free weights, but some machines just feel better for certain muscles. What’s your go-to mix of machines and free weights in your training?
Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2025 6:04 pm
by PRVictor8
Mostly free weights, but I add machines for isolation. Leg curls, leg press, flys, stuff like that.
Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2025 6:36 pm
by KeelllyP85
70% free weights, 30% machines. Machines help on high-rep finishers or when joints are sore.
Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2025 7:01 pm
by GeorgePRY
I used to avoid machines completely, now I include them for warm-ups and pump sets. They’re underrated.
Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2025 7:13 pm
by CoreyGm0
Free weights build real strength and stability. Machines just complement them.
Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2025 7:18 pm
by Dannyll0
So free weights are priority, machines are accessory/pump?
Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2025 7:47 pm
by Brody778
Exactly. Free weights = compound strength, machines = targeted work and recovery-friendly.
Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?
Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2025 12:26 am
by Randym76
I rotate based on mood too. Some days I want heavy squats, other days leg press for high volume.
Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?
Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2025 1:12 am
by William Wilson
Machines can be great if form is an issue. Example: shoulder press machine keeps your range safe and controlled.
Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?
Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2025 1:54 am
by Brox88
Cable machines also allow constant tension. I use them for chest, back, arms—great for hypertrophy.