Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?

Share and learn effective workout techniques and tips.
Train smarter, not harder! 🏋️‍♂️
Image
Dannyll0
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2025 7:11 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?

Post by Dannyll0 »

I love free weights, but some machines just feel better for certain muscles. What’s your go-to mix of machines and free weights in your training?
PRVictor8
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2025 5:51 pm
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?

Post by PRVictor8 »

Mostly free weights, but I add machines for isolation. Leg curls, leg press, flys, stuff like that.
KeelllyP85
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2025 5:38 pm

Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?

Post by KeelllyP85 »

70% free weights, 30% machines. Machines help on high-rep finishers or when joints are sore.
GeorgePRY
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2025 5:50 pm

Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?

Post by GeorgePRY »

I used to avoid machines completely, now I include them for warm-ups and pump sets. They’re underrated.
CoreyGm0
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2025 6:58 pm
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?

Post by CoreyGm0 »

Free weights build real strength and stability. Machines just complement them.
Dannyll0
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2025 7:11 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?

Post by Dannyll0 »

So free weights are priority, machines are accessory/pump?
Brody778
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2025 6:51 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?

Post by Brody778 »

Exactly. Free weights = compound strength, machines = targeted work and recovery-friendly.
Randym76
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2025 7:13 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?

Post by Randym76 »

I rotate based on mood too. Some days I want heavy squats, other days leg press for high volume.
William Wilson
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2025 7:08 pm

Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?

Post by William Wilson »

Machines can be great if form is an issue. Example: shoulder press machine keeps your range safe and controlled.
Brox88
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2025 6:44 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?

Post by Brox88 »

Cable machines also allow constant tension. I use them for chest, back, arms—great for hypertrophy.
Post Reply