Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?
Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?
I love free weights, but some machines just feel better for certain muscles. What’s your go-to mix of machines and free weights in your training?
Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?
Mostly free weights, but I add machines for isolation. Leg curls, leg press, flys, stuff like that.
-
KeelllyP85
- Posts: 26
- Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2025 5:38 pm
Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?
70% free weights, 30% machines. Machines help on high-rep finishers or when joints are sore.
Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?
I used to avoid machines completely, now I include them for warm-ups and pump sets. They’re underrated.
Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?
Free weights build real strength and stability. Machines just complement them.
Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?
So free weights are priority, machines are accessory/pump?
Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?
Exactly. Free weights = compound strength, machines = targeted work and recovery-friendly.
Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?
I rotate based on mood too. Some days I want heavy squats, other days leg press for high volume.
-
William Wilson
- Posts: 25
- Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2025 7:08 pm
Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?
Machines can be great if form is an issue. Example: shoulder press machine keeps your range safe and controlled.
Re: Machines vs Free Weights – What’s Your Ratio?
Cable machines also allow constant tension. I use them for chest, back, arms—great for hypertrophy.
