More Sets or More Weight — What Actually Grows Muscle?
More Sets or More Weight — What Actually Grows Muscle?
Some lifters chase volume, others just go heavy and hard. From your own training, what’s given you better gains more sets or heavier weight with fewer sets?
-
James Johnson
- Posts: 19
- Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2025 7:00 pm
- Been thanked: 1 time
Re: More Sets or More Weight — What Actually Grows Muscle?
I need some volume or I don’t feel it working, but junk volume is real. 10–12 hard sets and I’m good.
Re: More Sets or More Weight — What Actually Grows Muscle?
Depends on recovery. If sleep and food are trash, volume buries me. When everything’s dialed, it works.
Re: More Sets or More Weight — What Actually Grows Muscle?
I rotate blocks. 6–8 weeks higher volume, then a heavier phase. Keeps joints happy and progress steady.
Re: More Sets or More Weight — What Actually Grows Muscle?
Most guys overdo volume and underdo effort. Half the sets, double the focus, better gains.
Re: More Sets or More Weight — What Actually Grows Muscle?
Sounds like the sweet spot is enough volume to grow but heavy/intense enough to actually force adaptation. Good stuff, fellas 
