Am I Overdoing My Warm-Ups Before Heavy Sets?

Share and learn effective workout techniques and tips.
Train smarter, not harder! 🏋️‍♂️
Image
Post Reply
Randym76
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2025 7:13 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Am I Overdoing My Warm-Ups Before Heavy Sets?

Post by Randym76 »

Lately I’ve been second guessing my warm-up routine. Some days I feel like I waste energy doing too many sets before my top set, other days I jump too fast and don’t feel fully ready.
For heavy squats, bench and dead-lifts how are you guys warming up without burning out before the real work starts?
GeorgePRY
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2025 5:50 pm

Re: Am I Overdoing My Warm-Ups Before Heavy Sets?

Post by GeorgePRY »

I keep it simple. 5–7 mins light cardio just to get warm, then ramping sets. No static stretching. Just add weight in jumps until I hit my top set. Saves energy.
David Thompson
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2025 7:05 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Am I Overdoing My Warm-Ups Before Heavy Sets?

Post by David Thompson »

Most dudes do way too much junk before the money set. Warm-up is to prep the movement, not turn it into a whole workout.
Barry-65
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2025 6:47 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Am I Overdoing My Warm-Ups Before Heavy Sets?

Post by Barry-65 »

For squats I’ll do bar x10, 135x5, 225x3, 275x2, then into working sets. Low reps as the weight climbs. I’m not trying to fatigue myself before the real work.
WScott06
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2025 5:39 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: Am I Overdoing My Warm-Ups Before Heavy Sets?

Post by WScott06 »

Bench I focus more on shoulders. Bands, light face pulls, some external rotations. If my shoulders feel right, the press feels strong.
Randym76
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2025 7:13 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Am I Overdoing My Warm-Ups Before Heavy Sets?

Post by Randym76 »

Yeah I think my issue is I treat every warm-up set like it matters too much. By the time I get to my top set I’m already a little gassed. Probably need to cut the volume down.
GablrlBG
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2025 5:46 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Am I Overdoing My Warm-Ups Before Heavy Sets?

Post by GablrlBG »

Deadlifts I barely warm up tbh. A few jumps and go. If you’re pulling heavy, too many reps just fry your CNS early.
Kerry2Pn
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2025 7:10 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Am I Overdoing My Warm-Ups Before Heavy Sets?

Post by Kerry2Pn »

I follow kind of a grease the groove approach. Each set just practices the movement. Clean reps, low fatigue. You should feel better with each jump, not more tired.
Randym76
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2025 7:13 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Am I Overdoing My Warm-Ups Before Heavy Sets?

Post by Randym76 »

Makes sense. I think I’m overthinking it and chasing the perfect warm-up instead of just getting warm and hitting my numbers. Going to try fewer reps as the weight climbs next session.
Brik#Ass
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2025 6:43 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Am I Overdoing My Warm-Ups Before Heavy Sets?

Post by Brik#Ass »

At the end of the day if your first working set feels strong and stable, you warmed up enough. If it feels stiff or shaky, you rushed it. Keep it simple and save the gas for the PR set.
Post Reply