Page 1 of 1

Am I Overdoing My Warm-Ups Before Heavy Sets?

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2026 4:44 pm
by Randym76
Lately I’ve been second guessing my warm-up routine. Some days I feel like I waste energy doing too many sets before my top set, other days I jump too fast and don’t feel fully ready.
For heavy squats, bench and dead-lifts how are you guys warming up without burning out before the real work starts?

Re: Am I Overdoing My Warm-Ups Before Heavy Sets?

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2026 5:02 pm
by GeorgePRY
I keep it simple. 5–7 mins light cardio just to get warm, then ramping sets. No static stretching. Just add weight in jumps until I hit my top set. Saves energy.

Re: Am I Overdoing My Warm-Ups Before Heavy Sets?

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2026 5:19 pm
by David Thompson
Most dudes do way too much junk before the money set. Warm-up is to prep the movement, not turn it into a whole workout.

Re: Am I Overdoing My Warm-Ups Before Heavy Sets?

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2026 5:54 pm
by Barry-65
For squats I’ll do bar x10, 135x5, 225x3, 275x2, then into working sets. Low reps as the weight climbs. I’m not trying to fatigue myself before the real work.

Re: Am I Overdoing My Warm-Ups Before Heavy Sets?

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2026 6:45 pm
by WScott06
Bench I focus more on shoulders. Bands, light face pulls, some external rotations. If my shoulders feel right, the press feels strong.

Re: Am I Overdoing My Warm-Ups Before Heavy Sets?

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2026 7:10 pm
by Randym76
Yeah I think my issue is I treat every warm-up set like it matters too much. By the time I get to my top set I’m already a little gassed. Probably need to cut the volume down.

Re: Am I Overdoing My Warm-Ups Before Heavy Sets?

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2026 7:26 pm
by GablrlBG
Deadlifts I barely warm up tbh. A few jumps and go. If you’re pulling heavy, too many reps just fry your CNS early.

Re: Am I Overdoing My Warm-Ups Before Heavy Sets?

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2026 8:11 pm
by Kerry2Pn
I follow kind of a grease the groove approach. Each set just practices the movement. Clean reps, low fatigue. You should feel better with each jump, not more tired.

Re: Am I Overdoing My Warm-Ups Before Heavy Sets?

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2026 8:49 pm
by Randym76
Makes sense. I think I’m overthinking it and chasing the perfect warm-up instead of just getting warm and hitting my numbers. Going to try fewer reps as the weight climbs next session.

Re: Am I Overdoing My Warm-Ups Before Heavy Sets?

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2026 10:11 pm
by Brik#Ass
At the end of the day if your first working set feels strong and stable, you warmed up enough. If it feels stiff or shaky, you rushed it. Keep it simple and save the gas for the PR set.